InSights: Music~

I updated my Playlist tonite. Sometimes I take for granted how moving music can be to the heart and soul. I added a few of my favorite artists from my limited but wonderful college days. Rod Stewart's semi-recent old classics are awesome. I prefer this mellow lot of tunes compared to his *Do Ya Think I'm Sexy* stuff that I used to dance to. His raspy collection of songs from his Great American Songbook are beautifully redone with full orchestra. One critic perfectly characterized his voice as "equal parts sandpaper and silk!" I'd agree and he still makes me swoon. A lot of critics said that his voice was worn out, he was lazy putting this work of art together and that he copied the old artists notes and accents - but I don't buy that. Rod is Rod. I'd like to hear Frank Sinatra try to do Rod ... ain't happenin' but MAN can Rod do Frank! The songs are as unique, as they are the same.

Another all-time favorite artist of mine is Boz Scaggs. Another voice that just does it for me. A friend of mine's brother in college had some Boz albums. So, we took a few his 8-track cassettes and *borrowed* them. We wore those puppies out! Playing and replaying our favorite songs! She had a yellow and black Mustang with a moon roof. I recall us driving around Boomer Lake in Stillwater, OK singing along cheerfully with his powerful back-up singers during their soulful gospel-like choruses! Then, at The Fox, this little pub we'd go to play pool would play our favorite Boz song, Middle Man, as soon as we hit the door. It was so funny! Occasionally, we'd get a free beer! We were actually very good pool players and beat the guys quite often - do ya think they let us win? No, I don't think so. They wanted to beat us! I remember stacking quarters up and waiting for our turn to show off perfectly executed long shots and combinations. Okay, Do this ... Arrow forward to *MIDDLE MAN* on the Playlist and think about a young version of Julie walking into a bar and hearing this song! His music belongs in a theatre on Broadway! It tells a story. It's filled with real passion, SOUL and grit. Boz tells it like it is. His *great yearning vocals* are just that! No one can yearn like Boz does! He's another musician that stands out so independently from his contemporaries.

What I have noticed in putting together my Playlist is that a lot of these songs have heavy piano as the primary instrument. Piano is my favorite instrument and I took lessons for about 8 years growing up. Now, I play a small repertoire of pieces from years past. Typically there is a touch of jazz, classical elegance and/or soul! I listen to all kinds of music. I enjoy R&B, country, and classic rock. LOVE SONGS of any kind that truly touch my heart and leave me reminiscing about the past and reliving those ol' passionate feelings. Nothing replicates the *feeling of love* than *a good song*.

Yes, occasionally, I fling something fun in there to accent Blog Posts ... like *Kiss Me Kiss Me* for Valentine's Day or *I Wanna Win* for Mason's golf layouts. For me, it's the jazzy-classicals that feel closest to home for my heart.

Please don't be shy and leave a comment. I enjoy hearing from ALL of YOU!!! So, tell me this, who are the top 3 all time favorite musicians of yours????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Can't wait to find out!

{xoxo} Juls~

p.s. I really should be scrapbooking! ;) Instead I've been trying to learn Adobe Photoshop! Like ALL MORNING LONG AND IT'S MAKING ME NUTS! okay ... got that out. Good thing I listened to some good music tonight!


CONVERSATION

11 comments:

  1. Hey Kiddo! You and I share tons when it comes to music! I love Boz. I also love Earth, Wind, & Fire, and Elton John. I was excited to see that you have Leona Lewis on your playlist! SHE IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I watched all of her clips on Youtube during her competition, and she just blows me away! I am one huge fan of hers! I loved your story of when you were younger. Yes, once again you wrote it so well and as I read along I was transported as if I were there. Fab stuff. I LOVE your new picture too! You gorgeous thing you! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't narrow it down to 3 if I tried. I do like the Boz song you've got playing on your blog too.

    Sorry Neal and I have been running around all morning and now he's at a school meeting. I'll try and pin him down with some questions for you if I can later this afternoon.

    Hope you're having a great weekend so far.

    Peace and Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @CurtinCarmel Me too, Curt! Me too! About the music, not my pic! ha! Love Elton and EW&F! I also agree about Leona Lewis. I didn't know who she was until I heard her song, Bleeding Love. Gorgeous vocals and her dress in the video was stunning. A lot of critics wrote about that dress too!

    {xoxo} Juls~

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG we are so twins. I love Rod and Boz and will hang around your blog awhile and listen. The other one I really loved around the same time was Jackson Browne (different) and Rickie Lee Jones. I like too many of them. But Jackson Browne and Rod Stewart are definite favourites. I kind of like Keith Urban - we came from the same town so I have been following him for many, many years. I so need to make a playlist of all the oldies too. I second that about your new picture. You are a gorgeous woman and should not be hiding away behind some other picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Rod Stewart!!! I have all his latest CDs, and I play them very often when I´m driving my car, or when I´m doing things around the house, or when I cook, or when my friends come for dinner , or, or .....
    His music is perfect for every moment!
    When I was a teenager, his "Saling" was one of my favourites, and it still brings me very nice memories of the past when I listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lilly I'll have to take a listen to Jackson Browne and Rickie Lee Jones to refresh my memory of their songs. Keith Urban is a wonderful singer/song writer. And I hope that he and Nicole Kidman are happy and that he stays on top of things. I listen to his CD all the time.

    "I wanna steal your attentions like a bad outlaw ..." ... I like that line -- a LOT! lol ...

    I've been feeling so sentimental lately.

    {xoxo} Juls~

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mermaid Lullaby He is great! Good music always makes entertaining more magical. I especially like preparing meals for my friends and family while listening to something relatively new - it makes me feel younger and full of energy!

    {xoxo} Juls~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi -- Thanks for your comment to my altered notebook on Paper Planet. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nelly Thanks for stopping by, Nelly. I was looking at journal notebooks to alter today because I really like the idea!

    {Hugs}

    Juls~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mermaid Lullaby3/23/2009 02:58:00 PM

    Holaaaa, amigaaa!!!
    Wonderful news! Your gift has arrived safely to the coast of Valencia, and I´m sooooo happy, I can´t tell you how much I like it!
    I must say, you really know about my tastes!
    Tonight, we´re opening a bottle of a delicious red wine to "unveil" the cups.
    I´m really proud of this blogger-friendship and thankful for your idea of exchanging gifts!
    Marina asked me before, where the packet came from, and imagine what I said: It comes from far, far away... -Like in "Shrek"!- she said.

    Now, I´ll make a beautiful pic and put it in my blog.
    There´s only one thing now, that could make me even happier: knowing that my present has arrived, too!

    Un abrazo muy fuerte (a big hug) desde Valencia...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mermaid Lullaby Oh! Good! I am so glad that it FINALLY arrived and that you like them! I saw the picnic basket photo on your blog today and thought, "Darnit! I wish that was her wine glasses instead!" I keep imagining you all watching the sunset at the ocean and enjoying a glass of wine... My favorite is red.

    So, awesome news :::: whew :::: !!!!

    {xoxo} Juls~

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you for visiting and commenting!