Info: Organizing Photographs~

Organizing photographs is easy! ?? Did I just type that ??

Yes, it's true. Admittedly, it helps to be familiar with Microsoft's menus, especially the File and Folder Tasks menu. I can grant a few simple tips from a gal who spent an entire weekend, burning the midnight oil, calculating *what-ifages*, naming and renaming primary folders, sub folders & file names, and wound up with a decent solution. This format also looks kinda *pretty* displayed on the screen, especially in Adobe Photoshop.

Initially, my photos were randomly categorized for work with personal stuff tossed in. Since there was not a concrete format of organization, I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME Browsing my computer system to find specific photos. I prefer to work efficiently and became very frustrated by time wasted. I needed to stop to TAKE TIME to organize My Pictures in order to SAVE TIME. I came up with a solid format of categorizing my photos that works for me, so I'll share it with those of you who could use a little advice and like me, have trouble finding time to stop & think.

If you don't have a digital camera and/or computer, the file name tips still apply to a paper system. You can purchase acid-free storage boxes and name the dividers in the same manner that you would name computer folders. I am not a computer techno-geek, although, I have had temporary aspirations of becoming one just so that I could get some 'actual work' done! It does help to become familiar with menus to ease the navigation of transferring photos, saving them into the correct folder and naming them properly so that you can find the one you need, when you need it! Basically, you have to practice and go through trial and error until it sinks in.

To keep things simple, here is the layout I developed to use for categorizing & saving my digital photographs on the computer. You are welcome to post your tips & for any techies out there, 'Bring It!'. These commands reflect a Microsoft Windows XP format. Naturally, you will use your own file folder and sub folder names that you need.

  • Click Start
  • Click My Pictures
  • Go to File and Folder Tasks
  • Click Make a New Folder
  • Type HORNER ALBUM 2008
  • Push Enter, Enter to complete folder
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008

Within the HORNER ALBUM 2008 folder, next Make a New Folder for each of your family members. To continue ...

  • Click Make a New Folder
  • Type Jacqueline
  • Push Enter to finalize adding Jacqueline
  • Click to the immediate right outside of the last sub folder created, in this case, Jacqueline. This will reset the Files and Folders Tasks menu from Rename this Folder edit mode to Make a New Folder mode.
  • Next file to add - Click Make a New Folder
  • Type Jessica
  • Push Enter to finalize adding Jessica
  • Click to the immediate outside right of the last sub folder created
  • Next file to add - Click Make a New Folder
  • Type Mason
  • Push Enter to finalize adding Mason
  • Click to the immediate right outside of the last sub folder created, etc. etc.
  • Continue doing this for each folder you want to make

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Mason

Listed below are the additional sub folders chosen to make within the HORNER ALBUM 2008 primary folder. Categorizing your sub folders streamlines the types and topics of photos making it easier to find specific files by reducing the number of files and photos to view & sort through.

  • Each Child's Name
  • Clip Art
  • Family & Friends
  • Gardening
  • Pets
  • Holidays
  • Household
  • Images
  • Parties & Special Events
  • Photography
  • Scrapbook Layouts

Verify that sub folders wind up in the correct primary folder, in this case HORNER ALBUM 2008. Don't worry if you make a mistake, you can delete empty file folders easily. However, if photos are saved within them, move by "dragging" sub folders to the correct folder or by using the Move This Folder menu item.

Now, we will take Mason's Folder and break down additional sub folders for his activities. He's involved in soccer and golf. I want to separate these types of photos from each other for a few reasons: 1) I take a lot of photos during his games and tournaments to ensure that I get some AWESOME ACTION photos! Sometimes, I will use the Canon XTi *Sports Mode* which takes sequential shots in rapid order while holding down the button. This way, his golf swing is captured or an interesting soccer shot is captured that may not have been if in *Auto Mode*. With the digital camera, you have the luxury of taking 100s of photos at an event, depending upon memory disc space. It is not uncommon for me to have over 200 photos for one soccer game or golf tournament. 2) Making folders for specific activities speeds up locating files for emailing, printing, or working on slide show presentations, etc.

Go to HORNER ALBUM 2008,

  • Double-Click Mason folder
  • Click Make a New Folder
  • Type Golf Team
  • Push Enter to finalize adding Golf Team
  • Click to the immediate outside right of the last sub folder created
  • Click Make a New Folder
  • Type Soccer Team
  • Push Enter to finalize adding Soccer Team

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Mason\Golf Team

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Mason\Soccer Team

Now, sub folders have been made for each of his activities. Typically, I'll transfer photos from the camera's digital card after a game directly into the appropriate sub folder. A nice feature of the Canon XTi is that while transferring photos to the computer, it automatically adds a sub folder named by date and photos within it are consecutively numbered. This helps keep events separated as well. Unless, by chance, you have 2 games in a given day. I rename this sub folder as 'date of game' and 'name of opposing team'. To illustrate:

  • Double-click Soccer Folder
  • Right-click sub folder created by camera (in my case, Canon's XTi date)
  • Select Rename
  • Type 12.12.08 FC Dallas

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Mason\Soccer Team\12.12.08 FC Dallas

What's nice about listing the date is the obvious, it keeps your photos in historical order. If the sub folder was named FC Dallas, how would you know the date or whether the game was played in the Spring or Fall Season? Which, by the way, if you wanted to get even more specific with filing, you could Make a Folder called Soccer Team Fall and Soccer Team Spring. For my purposes, organizing them within the HORNER ALBUM 2008 year, Mason, Soccer Team, Date/Team Played is adequate.

So, illustrating the advantage of this type of filing system, here's an expanded example of the contents for Jacqueline's folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\02.01.08 Banquet

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\04.05.08 Canadian Club

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\08.31.08 LA Tech

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\10.05.08 Central Oklahoma

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\10.12.08 Midwestern

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\10.26.08 Abilene Christian

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jacqueline\Soccer\11.23.08 Banquet

Here's an expanded example of the contents of Jessica's folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Orchestra

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Orchestra\Spring Fling Program

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Orchestra\Holiday Program

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Graduation

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Graduation\Sr. Pictures

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\HORNER ALBUM 2008\Jessica\Friends

If photos do get mixed together ... well that's another topic for another day!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Hope you are having a great day and thanks for visiting Papier Creatif - Creative Paper + Digital Products!

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you!

Julie